[MPlayer-users] please help test my mplayer widescreen converter wrapper script

Daniel Manjarres danmanj2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 07:20:24 CEST 2006

> The problem is when you have non-overscanned material, but straight
> > up letterboxed stuff, where the aspect ratio can't be pulled from the
> > file (either as resolution data or metadata), and things like Red vs.
> > Blue where something like 2.35:1 (Don't know the full res) is jammed
> > in 4:3 and they stick subtitles in the blank space below (Lopez is
> > hard to understand, even if you understand Spanish!).

So I just ran this script on rvb episode 76 and it worked perfectly (just
lucky I guess).  You mentioned in a private email that rvb was the only
place you saw subtitles below the video, but I have seen that in lots of
places over the years, so it is a good thing to try for. But the good news
is that on my 1.6 aspect ratio monitor the necessary crop to grab the video
and subtitles is still the full width of the monitor, so it corresponds to
just softcroping with a recenter towards the bottom. Just set the recenterv
variable to down, and it will work for all episodes of red vs blue. Other
files may not work without reducing the horizontal size of the playback
window in order to get the subtitles to show.

later.