[MPlayer-users] please help test my mplayer widescreen converter wrapper script

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 06:07:31 CEST 2006

On Jul 2, 2006, at 10.03, Daniel Manjarres wrote:

> Good idea, but it would only be easy if the script had prior
> knowledge of
> what it is supposed to do, like have a script for overscan bar
> removal, one
> for letterbox removal, one for foo correction. I am not doing that.
> I am
> writing one script to work on EVERYTHING. So the script cannot have
> prior
> knowledge about what the correct thing to do is, or take shortcuts.

Oh, well I didn't mean as user interaction. I meant like an
autodetect. When you smack that Enter Key to start the script, it
does those functions on its own. But the problem still exists with
letterboxed (not overscanned) footage, and live streams (IE:
television).

> Ok that is a new test case for me then. Are the subtitles ALWAYS
> below the
> video? If so I can just make it expand the softcrop region
> preferentially
> down with a different value for the $recenter variable. That would
> probably
> work even if the subtitles were not present in the sampled frames.
> If I rent
> this movie and get brain damage from bad acting while trying to
> make it work
> will anybody appreciate my sacrifice? :-D If it's a bad movie maybe
> I should
> let it slide.........

It's only done with Red vs. Blue. RvB is a Machinima "broadcast" on
the internet, made with Halo 2, and they crop out all the HUD stuff,
giving it a letterboxed look, but they still jam it in a 360x240 box.
RvB is the only series of videos I know that jams the subtitles under
the video. Everything else I've seen sticks it over the footage.

> I can imagine how it works, and if it is cropping out subtitles
> then I kinda
> don't want to emulate it.

Meh, it's just RvB. I haven't seen the auto-crop "damage" anything else.

> I'm sure they are nice people, and know what they are doing, and
> are already
> working on improvements to their feature, but if I can just get
> people to
> test this script and send me their failure info I can do it myself.

Ahh. Well, I'd offer to test this myself, except all the screens in
my house are 4:3. TVs and computer monitors included. Sorry! Just
thought I'd offer my advice.