[MPlayer-users] please help test my mplayer widescreen converter wrapper script

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Jul 2 22:53:02 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 15:09:54 -0500
"Daniel Manjarres" <danmanj2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > With a 4:3 video on a 4:3 display, -panscan wouldn't do anything,
> > for obvious reasons.
>
> Except if you have 10 pixels worth of overscan padding on the top and
> bottom you will still have those wasting screen space on your monitor.

By definition, nothing you can do will make a 4:3 video fit on a 4:3
monitor any better, so I don't have any idea what you're trying to say
here.

> because the script didn't catch an exception. Unless you caught it
> somewhere below that,

Yes.  In those cases, it won't insert crop into the filter chain.  It's
a simple if ["$CROP"==""] kind of check.

> but so far nobody has written to me to say they have a file that my
> script fails on. I am guessing that is because nobody has tried it
> seriously.

You only sent it yesterday, you shouldn't expect much this soon.

Plus, your script is rather specialized.  Most people wouldn't need or
want -x -y explicitly specified, or using -vf expand instead of hardware
to add borders (slowing down playback), etc.  And as I've mentioned,
there are some easier, faster ways to accomplish most of the same
results.