[MPlayer-users] mplayer vidix drivers question

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Sat Jul 1 09:01:13 CEST 2006

Phil Oleynik wrote:

> Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> I don't know where the mplayer configure scripts are that might let
>> me edit how mplayer uses vidix.  Any help appreciated.  Also, I don't
>> have joystick, so maybe I don't need mplayer to look for it?
>>
> You are not running mplayer with SUID bit set, it merely does not have
> sufficient
> permission to access hardware directly. Try running as root.
>
> BTW: Please, upgrade to SVN.
>
> Phil

Phil:  Not sure what I did, but the idea was to install and be able to
run mplayer as user, not root.  Worse, when I run the command:
$> ls -al /usr/bin/mplayer it reports an x, rather than an s which means
suid hasn't been set, right?

Now, to make things more weird, I log out, log in as root, and mplayer
hangs when I start it.  Looks hopeless.  But, as crippled as it is, I
seem to be able to use it as user, for now.

As for SVN, I have SVN installed, but am not sure what you mean?  I run
command:
$> rpm -q mplayer
mplayer-1.0-51_pre7try2.rhfc4.at

Are you asking that I run svn and point to mplayer svn version at the site?
Tom
Thanks, Tom

--
94% of returning troops suffer from trauma
Open Studios