[MPlayer-users] mencoder crashes kernel

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Jan 13 20:47:10 CET 2006

On Friday, 13 January 2006 at 20:36, Duane Evenson wrote:
> My kernel crashes whenever I run mencoder. It may not crash right away,
> not even while mencoder is still running, but it crashes soon.
> My mencoder command is:
> mencoder -tv
> driver=v4l2:buffersize=300:alsa:width=640:height=480:norm=NTSC:chanlist=us-cable:channel=8:audiorate=48000
>
> tv:// -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:v4mv -vf crop=608:464:16:6,pp=lb
> -oac mp3lame -lameopts q=2 -quiet -endpos 60 -o test.avi;
>
> The problem started after I upgraded from 2.4.20 to 2.6.x (I've tried
> x=11, 12, 13, and 14). The problem presents using Fedora 4 precompiled
> kernels as well as my own compiled kernels. I'm currently using MEncoder
> dev-Fedora-GS-CVS-050904-14:36-4.0.1, and bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17). I have
> a mostly Redhat Fedora 4 system.
>
> Someone mentioned that this may be a problem between level 1 and level 2
> in v4l. I don't know. It always seems that from the call trace section
> of the log, the problem arises during memory page swapping.
>
> Here's the log file from the time the system crashed. Note the time,
> mencoder was running for about 7 minutes.
> Jan 12 21:07:15 dave kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
> Jan 12 21:07:15 dave kernel: kernel BUG at include/linux/list.h:166!

Well, this is a kernel bug. I suspect it's related to v4l. We can't do anything
about it. You need to file a bug with either Fedora's or RedHat's bugzilla
or go straight to kernel developers (after verifying that it happens with
latest vanilla kernel).

OTOH, I've found a problem with the official RPMs where v4l2 support
doesn't get enabled when it should. This will be fixed in the next
CVS build, probably this weekend. You may want to try again with the
new build.

Regards,
R.