[MPlayer-users] howto play apples quicktime movie trailers (720p)

Mon Jan 9 01:13:14 CET 2006

Hi Markus Schulz!

 On 2006.01.09 at 00:55:49 +0100, Markus Schulz wrote next:

> > The reason is most possibly that your CPU is not fast enough.
> > I have the same errors with h264-compressed files on Celeron-850.
> > The same version of mplayer built in the same environment
> > (gcc, glibc, etc) on P-4 2.2 works perfectly.
> > Possibly, frame decoding is halted in abnormal way, when time
> > to display next frame comes. However, I am absolutely not sure.
>
> ok, this seems to be the problem. the cpu usage goes from 50% up to
> nearly 100% in some scenes. (A64-3500+ nvidia xv-overlay) And each time
> cpu usage goes to 100% the messages drops. Perhaps better disable
> "error decoding frame" messages on frame drops, it's confusing.
>
> Other question, what i need to decode 720p/1080p h264 on linux if 720p
> h264 burns a 3500? Or should this be fine and something is wrong with
> my system?

The system is fast enough to decode 720p without postprocessing, but may
be not fast enough for every 1080p h264 file. Try playing 1080p files with
-lavdopts skiploopfilter=bidir
option. For all high-resolution h264 videos use -vf-clr.

Another catch is osd; in hdtv resolutions osd is extremely slow in
mplayer with most output drivers, including xv and xvidix. Try
-osdlevel 0 and see if it helps. If it does and you need osd, you'll
have to use gl:yuv=3 output driver (or other yuv suboption, see manpage
for the one most suitable for your card).

--

Vladimir