[MPlayer-users] Having trouble producing mpeg from mov

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 7 06:54:36 CET 2006

RC wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 18:55:03 -0800
>Philip Walden <pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net> wrote:
>

>>For mpeg container with mpeg video:
>>   mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg* -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>>vcodec=<see table below> -o PC290052.mpg PC290052.MOV
>>

>I was suspicious enough of your results that I decided to try it myself.
>
>I encoded MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video with audio into a MPEG container,
>uninstalled all codecs installed on my Windows 2000 test box,
>installed the latest media players, and tried both formats.
>
>Quicktime plays MPEG-1 and MPEG-2
>RealPlayer plays MPEG-1, needs MPEG-2 codec
>WM Player plays MPEG-1, needs MPEG-2 codec

Thanks RC,

maybe I am getting close here. When I said:

vcodec       |   -o file sz   |   mplayer   |   realplayer10    | MS
media player    |   Quicktime7
mpeg1video   |   3051524      |   works     |   fails           | fails
            |   fails

The failures were basically faulty playing of the video. For example
quicktime would play for a second or so and then freeze on a frame for
the duration of the movie. Realplayer and WMP has different problems,
such as starting the video but then "pixelating" and then freezing.

Are there other options needed to make them read the mpeg1 video
properly? I am still pretty green on this (as you can tell). Perhaps
lavacopts like keyint and so on might be the problem?

I can try post the source MOV somewhere if you want to try it.