[MPlayer-users] h.264 rtsp stream from QTSS

Cian Cullinan cian.cullinan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 16:48:17 CET 2006

OK, I think there are a couple of different problems here:
1) Mplayer does not support H264 over RTSP, it is missing in some of
the demuxer and rtp related files. I can't remember which, but I did
look into this before. You can ask on the devel list maybe or IRC.
2) VLC *does* support H264 over RTSP, but is at early stages and in my
experience the stream  display will degrade over time with VLC
eventually crashing. This has something to do with timing problems in
the demuxer.

That particular stream you posted will not play in VLC, because the
video format (X-QT) is not supported by VLC.
For example, here is a H264 stream that vlc will play (though poorly):

$ vlc --rtsp-tcp rtsp://streaming.multicasttech.com/H264test.sdp

Basically h264 streamed playback on linux is in its infancy. If you
can, use QT player on OSX or Windows, otherwise you can do plain
MPEG4-2.

Cian