AW: [MPlayer-users] Mplayer unattended+fullscreen

Ethan Arnold ethan at arnold.net
Thu Jan 5 14:16:45 CET 2006

Hi Paul,

>> But still I need to click in the window every time I start playing a
>> movie, and it is not fullscreen. If I specify -fs I still have to
>> position a window, but then it aborts with:
>>
>> X11 error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>>
>> How can I get mplayer (i'm starting it from a remote PC via ssh) to
>> immediately start playing the video fullscreen with no local
>> interaction needed? And not abort :-)

> did you try: mplayer -fs -zoom whateveryouwant.avi

> if it doesnt' work yet, pls tell us waht is the window manager (if
> there) you are using, and the video output driver :-)

Yes, the -zoom parameter doesnt change anything, same problem.

One more thing I tried is pressing "f" while the video is playing, this
pauses the video, changes the window to a floating frame which is big enough
to fill the screen, and then when I position it in the top left corner, the
video plays on, but still with window frame around it.

I'm not using any window manager as far as I know of, at least I didnt
install any. I just installed xorg-7.0 (via the gentoo "emerge" command),
it's certainly not KDE or Gnome. Startx starts me with 3 open xterms of
different sizes and an xclock in the top right corner.

The video output driver is the Via Unichrome from openchrome.org which is
included in the latest Xorg-7.0 release. I run mplayer with the -vo xmvc
command and the -vc ffmpeg12mc parameters. If I dont specify -fs it works
fine (except that I still have to click to position the window which is
almost worse than the fullscreen not working at the moment, because I have
to cross the room everytime i try something just to click the mouse)

"mplayer -vo x11 -fs -zoom ntv-dvbs.mpeg" sort of works, it first gives me a
small window i have to click into, then enlargens that window to full size,
then i have to click AGAIN, then I get almost fullscreen playback, but with
the window frame around it. Also using x11 does not use the hardware
acceleration than I need so thats not an option, it needs to run with the
xvmc mode.

It make no difference if I use xv or xvmc, they both crash with "X11 error:
BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)"

Ethan