[MPlayer-users] Need help with deblocking (-vf pp)

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 3 19:28:09 CET 2006

Thanks for your suggestions.

>*cmp=2 options tend to make things blocky in my experience.  You can try
>*cmp=3 or just leave them all out and try the default.

I did not see a difference between no cmp and cmp = 3, but both were better
than cmp = 2. I know that the results depend on what you are encoding, but
if in your experience cmp=2 leads to blockiness, why does the MPlayer manual
suggest it for a high-quality encode? For what it's worth, the blockiness
shows in two main areas in the opening song:

1) Some transitions  where one scene blends into the next (blocky
background)
2 ) A fight against a background of dark clouds (blocky clouds).

>You generally shouldn't encode with postprocessing.
I don't think I can assume that the DVD player has block removal like
MPlayer.

>For deblocking, try
>options like scplx_mask=0.2.  Also, denoising (nr/hqdn3d) may help (or
>it may make things worse).

scplx_mask seemed to help, hqdn3d didn't, didn't try nr.

I will stick with 352x240 since I am satisfied with it. Creating DVDs is
neither my profession nor my hobby, and there are too many switches and
legal values for them for someone who has no knowledge of the theory of
video compression (luma? chroma? quantizer?) to find a solution by
searching.

Too bad that -vf pp did not seem to have a visible effect.