[MPlayer-users] about multicast

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Jan 3 16:29:30 CET 2006

Sinan Nalkaya wrote:
> hi i have 2 clients. all i want is capture the multicast streams at same
> time, with -nocache parameter it seems not bad, but sometimes, one of
> them becomes more laggy than the other one, what do you suggest me for
> this and do you know good multicast program ?(currently using ffmpeg)
> but output of dvbstream program seems fine.
> note: both pcs are same configuration with same hardware
> thanks.

http://icecast.org

"Theora Video support - Icecast now supports video streaming via theora.
Currently, we require the latest (alpha 4) version of libtheora. This is an
optional compile, so if you don't have theora then icecast will safely ignore it."

I have only used icecast for audio, but it is fairly easy.
It may seem like more work, but I bet it will be easier than what you are trying
to do with mplayer.  Assuming icecast can actually do what you need, which I may
not understand ;)

^Carl K