[MPlayer-users] CVS compile tv-v4l2 input driver not detected/enabled

Barton Bosch bartonbosch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 03:38:25 CET 2006

Martin Simmons wrote:

>>On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 21:55:04 -0800
>>Barton Bosch <bartonbosch at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>So was the reason that the 4/2005 CVS Snapshot detected v4l2
>>>because mplayer somehow found a videodev2.h that was included with the
>>>ffmpeg in the snapshot but omitted from the actual cvs source?
>

>>Seems likely that you had a videeodev2.h file before and, sometime
>>between 4/2005 and now, some person/program/script mistakenly
>>deleted/moved/renamed videodev2.h
>

> Yes, it used to be in the mplayer CVS...

Yup, I think that something on the mplayer devs' end might need to be
checked into.

You see this whole situation arose out of the fact that a power outage
hosed the superblock on the root partition of my media production
machine.  I spent about six hours in my third attempt (in about a year)
to compile from an absolutely fresh CVS checkout as opposed to a CVS
snapshot or install from RPMs.

The 4/2005 CVS snapshot was originally installed on my backup machine
back in April of 2005.  It compiled and auto-detected 4vl2 on a pristine
FC3 install (without having videodev2.h in /usr/include/linux).  The
mplayer CVS checkout was literally the first package that I attempted to
compile after doing the base install.

So, whatever the ultimate cause, it appears probable that any FC3 user
will run into this same problem in attempting to build mplayer with a
functional v4l2 driver from CVS.

In any case my problem's resolved and I've been getting some stuff done
with my fresh CVS mplayer, thanks devs!

Barton