[MPlayer-users] MPlayer hangs playing 'Sony Pictures' DVDs.

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Feb 26 11:49:56 CET 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:29:51 -0600
mplayerhq.hu at jamesplace.net wrote:

> That'll solve the 'hang' problem, but I still don't understand why
> mplayer  can't play the DVD.

Neither do I.  If I had the disc (and your system) in front of me, I'd
almost certainly be able to tell you...

Since I've watched HUNDREDS of DVDs over the past ~3 years, all using
MPlayer (no-doubt several from Sony) and haven't had a single one with
an remotely similar problem, it's safe to say the problem is something
specific to your system.

MPlayer has two different methods for decrypting/reading DVDs...
There's been some talk about Linux's scsi emulation being broken, so
perhaps you could try without that (I'm assuming that's not actually a
SCSI DVD drive, you didn't say).
Different versions of mplayer have different bugs (true for gcc as well)

There are a LOT of things that could potentially be the cause of your
problems, and nobody can just guess what it might be, unless someone
else here just coincidentally happened to have had the exact same
problem.