[MPlayer-users] Detecting interlacing

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Feb 21 06:54:07 CET 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:01:48 +0000
Tony Houghton <h at realh.co.uk> wrote:

> Is there a way to detect whether a video (in particular vdr
> recordings) is interlaced with something like mplayer -identify?

Nope.  Doing it by-eye is easy enough.  I've been considering something
like a video filter that will only detect and report if a video is
interlaced/hard telecined/progressive, but I'm not sure it's even worth
the effort...

> If I enable a deinterlacing filter anyway, will it just be ignored if
> the source isn't interlaced?

Nope, they will just operate on the progressive video, as if it's
actually interlaced.

'pp=lb' isn't bad, as it will only blur the picture a small bit if it's
actually progressive.  'kerndeint' with a threshold of "40" will do a
pretty good job of leaving progressive content alone, and still
deinterlacing if necessary.

filmdint has a threshold option too, but it usually does a very lowsy of
of deinterlacing, so don't bother with it.