[MPlayer-users] Hauppauge PVR 350 TV Watching

Christoph Christ CHCNET Consulting office at chcnet.net
Sun Feb 19 08:59:06 CET 2006

Hi guys,

I''ve recently bought this wonderful tv-card which produces a nearly DVD
picture :-)

I can use the Hauppauge PVR 350 card with IVTV 0.4.3 drivers, by
manually setting the input channel, with 'ivtvctl -p4' to the tuner
and by setting the appropriate TV-Channel via ivtv-tune -t europe-west
-c E6 (e.g.). The ivtv driver creates devices /dev/v4l/video0, from
which I'm capable to play the mpeg2 stream via 'mplayer /dev/v4l/video0'.

This works perfectly. But I want to use the tv-capabilities of mplayer,
which I like very much...

I tried it with all possibilities, but wasn't able to do it:

mplayer -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/v4l/video0:input=4 tv://E6

recognizes the card and prints everything correctly, but before it
starts playing tv it fails with an ioctl error (could not open buffers
or such)

Does anybody have an idea, how to do tv with this card? Maybe do I have
to use dvb:// instead?

kind regards
Christoph Christ