[MPlayer-users] why so many "warning" messages during make of cvs mplayer?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 23:42:23 CET 2006

Serge Matovic wrote:

> I know that this is one of those very stupid questions, and a waste
> of your time but why so many "warning" messages during "make" of cvs
> mplayer? I'm just curious.

Partly because the code was written with an eye to working, not to being
warning-free. Partly because different warnings are given by different
versions of different compilers, and not all of the warnings have been
compensated for since their respective compiler versions were released.
(GCC 4.x now gives floods of 'pointer targets differ in signedness'
errors, which GCC 3.x did not; some at least of the devs appear to think
that this is not a valid thing to warn about, and so whether or not
those warnings will ever be fixed is up in the air.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.