[MPlayer-users] streaming jpegs realtime

Gergely Kontra kgergely at mcl.hu
Wed Feb 15 23:43:38 CET 2006

Kichigai Mentat wrote:
> >I've a webcam. I can download a jpeg snapshot from it.
> >I'd like to make a realtime stream from it.
> >
> >I wrote a script which saves the jpegs into a directory, and I know,
> >that mplayer can play jpegs as a movie, but the frames created after I
> >start mplayer won't show up, and the stream ends.
> How fast are you creating the frames? Is the MPlayer cache filling up
> before new frames are read? That's going to be your problem, I think.
The fps is configurable. What I get is a MIME stream, which has JPEGs
inside (I don't know why the producer calls this mjpeg...). Then, my
script saves the jpegs to a directory.
While saving, I'd like to view the stream realtime, so:
as soon as there is a a newer frame, mplayer should display that frame.

> >Any ideas how can I see that stream online?
> >(I also want to reencode that stream (consecutive jpegs are very
> >similar), but I guess if I can solve the playing problem, it would be
> >very easy)
> You'll need a streaming application. This all depends on your
> platform, and I'm pretty sure MPlayer/MEncoder was never intended to
> stream media, so your best bet would be to google for something.
Well, but cannot mencoder encode those jpegs to a streamable format
realtime?

Than, what should I feed to mplayer/mencoder to view the stream?
I'm under linux (debian)

--
+-[ Gergely Kontra <kgergely at mcl.hu> http://www.mcl.hu/~kgergely ]------+
| PhD Student (Room:IB113)  PGP ID: 0x66875624  Mobile:(+36 20)356 9656 |