[MPlayer-users] Brightness decreases on every video frame in MPEG-2 encodes

Markus Kaiserswerth mkaiserswerth at inetmx.de
Tue Feb 14 08:47:12 CET 2006

Am 14.02.2006 um 06:09 schrieb Rich Felker:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 05:25:23PM +0100, Markus Kaiserswerth wrote:

>>> Yes, sounds like buggy precompiled binaries to me.
>>>
>>> Rich
>>
>> This is weird.
>> I have now built MPlayer from CVS. I used the libavcodec, libavformat
>> and libavutil directories from an up-to-date ffmpeg-cvs snapshot and
>> copied them into the mplayer-cvs tree before building. Version is
>> now:
>>
>> MEncoder dev-CVS-060210-15:17-4.0.1
>>
>> The effect is exactly the same. I will try this on x86 Linux now, to
>> see if this is somehow related to OS X, ppc or altivec code.
>
> OK, let us know your results..
>
> Rich

The result was the same, which made me try a completely different
source. The effect was no longer there with a different source. I
even tried TMPEGEnc on Windows and the effect was there again with
the original source material. In the end I noticed that only
QuickTime 7.0.4-based (and maybe earlier) OS X applications produce
this effect while viewing. As those are my standard applications for
viewing, I didn't notice that MPlayer will play the files okay.

I still have to try the file in question on my set-top DVD player,
but it looks like this is not directly related to MPlayer/MEncoder.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Markus

P. S.: At least this made me build a brand-new CVS version of
MPlayer, which runs nicely!