[MPlayer-users] DivX 6.1.1

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Feb 12 04:33:31 CET 2006

Mauriat Miranda wrote:
> I noticed that there is a DivX 6.1.1 available for linux
> (http://labs.divx.com/DivXLinuxCodec).
>
> Has anyone seen this?

No. Not until now.

> Can this or will this be supported in MPlayer?

It could, I suppose. There is (or was) support for DivX 4. I don't have
the know-how to go about trying to add support for version 6.1.1, or I'd
try it myself.

> Does anyone know if there are any advantages in this codec over native
> divx support in MPlayer?

"divx" is a bit of a misnomer. You're really talking about MPEG-4, of
which DivX, XviD, and libavcodec MPEG-4 are different implementations.

For decoding, I doubt there's any reason to use it other than for
testing purposes. As far as I know, libavcodec MPEG-4 is still the most
feature-complete decoder and is almost certainly the fastest available
under Linux.

For encoding, it could be interesting to test and benchmark DivX 6.1.1.
One interesting thing to note is that (at least according to their web
page) this isn't a crippled version -- it has all the "DivX Pro" features.

Another issue is, of course, that the DivX release is only for i386
Linux. Not having available source code is a major impediment.

Overall, I doubt DivX has any advantages over XviD and libavcodec
MPEG-4, though it could be interesting to test.

-Corey