[MPlayer-users] BUG?: ao_alsa freezes after playing the first audio block

Stephen Stocker lpar at par1.net
Fri Feb 10 14:36:42 CET 2006

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Sascha Sommer wrote:

> Whenever I'm playing a wmv file that uses wma audio with a samplerate of
> 16000Hz and below MPlayer freezes after the first audio block.
> This only happens with ao alsa and only with small samplerates. Oss emulation
> is fine. It doesn't happen either when I start MPlayer with -ao
> alsa:device=hw=0.0 so maybe this is a dmix bug after all.
>
> I attached a log with some extra debug printfs at the end of the get_delay,
> get_space and play_normal functions. As you can see get_space always returns
> 0 even though the audio should have been played already.
>
> The test file can be found at
> http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/~faust3/stapelfahrer_klaus.wmv
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards
>
> Sascha

   Hi,

   I just grabbed a minute or so of the file, and it works fine for me, using
either dmix or the regular ALSA device. It sounds like the problem *might*
be an older version of ALSA. There's been some discussion of improvements in
the dmix implementation recently, so you might try a newer version.

   I'm using ALSA 1.0.11rc3 CVS and MPlayer CVS from last night, with an SB
AWE64. HTH. :)

   Take care,
   Steve