[MPlayer-users] Brightness decreases on every video frame in MPEG-2 encodes

Markus Kaiserswerth mkaiserswerth at inetmx.de
Thu Feb 9 18:17:02 CET 2006

Am 09.02.2006 um 14:03 schrieb Ivan Kalvachev:

> It looks like ffmpeg bug. What version are you using? Have you tried
> lastest one, or with older (e.g. 1,2,3 months ago)?
>
> Are you using shared version of libavcodec?
> What is your distro, system, processor etc...

I am using Mac OS X (10.4.4) with an installation of Fink. I use a
pre-compiled binary version of ffmpeg (available through Fink's apt-
get repository). ffmpeg version is 0.4.9-pre1, build 4718, built on
Nov  2 2005. The mplayer and mencoder binaries I use are the ones
that you need to download if you want to install ffmpegX, a Mac OS X
GUI for various video encoding tasks. They are available from http://
prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mplayerosx/ffmpegXbinaries20051201.zip .
As you can see from the URL, those binaries are relatively new
(December 2005). mplayer --version shows: MPlayer dev-
CVS-051126-18:35-3.3

libavcodec version is 0.4.9-pre1-11, from Fink. I am not sure, but I
believe that only ffmpeg uses the Fink libavcodec libary, whereas the
mplayer and mencoder binaries use their own, statically compiled in
one. Though I'm not really sure about this.

The processor is a Freescale PowerPC G4 with Altivec.

Which versions would you recommend using? I could try self-compiling
the newest mplayer (and ffmpeg, libavcodec) version with Fink.

RC wrote:

> You aren't using any of the quality-improving options, so 5000
> probably
> isn't a high enough bitrate.  At least add mbd=2 and trell, and it
> should look much better.

Thank you. I will study these options in the manual, and see if there
are even more options of practical use.