[MPlayer-users] OSX: disable "auto-sleep" while playing a video?

Klaus Müller mk.2001 at web.de
Thu Feb 9 00:18:55 CET 2006

gabor schrieb:
> hi,
>
> i use mac osx.
>
> the problem is that when i'm watching something in mplayer, the system
> seems to interpret it as 'nothing is happening', and acts accordingly:
>
> 1. lowers the brightness of the screen after some time
> 2. probably would later turn off the display, but i never wait so long.
>

> after #1, simply moving the cursor around a little helps, but it gets a
> little annoying after some time.
>
> for me this seems to be the standard problem as i had in linux with the
> screensaver jumping in.
>
> is there anything to solve this on  mac-osx?
>
> or to reformulate:
> what are other mac-osx users doing in this situation?

on my PowerBook, i'm using the attached script to disable auto-sleep
while mplayer is running, and to restore the original settings after
mplayer has finished.

unfortunately pmset must run as root, so a admin-password is required
twice every time you run mplayer, but it's better than permanently
moving the cursor to avoid auto-sleep.

> thanks,
> gabor

mk