[MPlayer-users] OSD stuff missing when I compile in 32 bit mode?

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzy.com
Mon Feb 6 00:15:01 CET 2006

I've got a Fedora Core 4 Linux box here, running an Athlon 64 X2 chip.
I am running the 64 bit version of FC4.

If I compile in 64 bit mode, MPlayer works fine, but I can't use win32
.dlls, as expected.  So I want to compile in 32 bit mode.

Compiling in 32 bit mode, MPlayer works, but the OSD stuff is missing
-- no status bar appears telling me how far into the video file I am,
and I don't get the percentage either.  And nothing I can do makes
them appear -- not moving back and forth in the file, not using the
command line options to invoke them by default, nothing.

But in 64 bit mode, they're there as expected.

I do have a ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf file, and it works fine, as
evidenced by the 64 bit version of MPLayer I've compiled.

Basically, if I do this --

   setenv CC "gcc32"
   ./configure
   make
   ./mplayer /tmp/file.mpg

... I'm compiling in 64 bit mode (gcc32 refers to gcc 3.2, not 32 bit
mode) and the OSD stuff works fine.  But if I do this --

   setenv CC "gcc32 -m32"
   ./configure --target=athlon-linux
   make
   ./mplayer /tmp/file.mpg

MPLayer still works (and if I add the options to tell it where the
win32 .dlls are, they work too, but that's not part of my test here)
but the OSD stuff is missing.

(I need to explicitly mention the --target=athlon-linux because it'll
realize that this is a 64 bit cpu and will try to compile 64 bit
assembler code and things will break.)

Any ideas?

I've tried both Mplayer 1.0pre7try2 and today's CVS version -- the
results are the same.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com
After their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to
suspect Hungry.