[MPlayer-users] duration of dumped wma files

Gerald Grabner gerald.grabner at gmx.net
Sun Dec 31 13:13:43 CET 2006

RC wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 20:05:37 +0100
> Gerald Grabner <gerald.grabner at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> when dumping a wma stream with "mplayer -dumpstream", the duration in
>> the header object of the dumped file is zero (most probably it is not
>> set when stopping the process via kill).
>
> MPlayer doesn't set ANYTHING when using -dumpstream.  The output is
> exactly the same as the input.
>
>> Is there any way to get the duration fixed (and maybe other entries in
>> the header)?
>
> You could potentially remux them with mencoder (or ffmpeg).

How would I do that with mplayer?

  mencoder -novideo -oac copy x.wma -o y.wma
->
  WARNING: OUTPUT FILE FORMAT IS _AVI_. See -of help.
  success: format: 0  data: 0x0 - 0x5445000
  ASF file format detected.
  Video stream is mandatory!

Looks like the output format "wma" is not available and that encoding
doesn't work for only audio files. So this is probably not the way to
do it. In the man page and in the online docu I didn't really find an
appropriate method, so I'm grateful for pointers...

Thx,
Gerald

BTW: I'm using "MPlayer 2:0.99+1.0pre8-0ubuntu8" that comes with Ubuntu
Edgy.