[MPlayer-users] pvr options

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Wed Dec 13 17:12:00 CET 2006

Hi all,

I am doing some experiments with a recently acquired PVR-150 card. The
man page lists various options under "-pvr", audio/ video formats,
audio/video encoding rates, and so forth, but it is unclear to me what
the relationship is between the -pvr options and the -oac -ovc codec
options.

For example if I try something like this:

mencoder				\
/dev/video1 			\
-pvr vbitrate=1000 abitrate=192			\
-o out.avi			\
pvr://

which, according to the man page, will use the default MPEG-2 PS for
video and MPEG Layer 2 for audio, mencoder returns error messages:

No audio encoder (-oac) selected.
No video encoder (-ovc) selected.

If I add -oac and -ovc parameters, like this:

mencoder				\
/dev/video1 			\
-oac copy				\
-ovc copy				\
-pvr vbitrate=1000 abitrate=192			\
-ffourcc DX50		\
-o out.avi			\
pvr://

It works, except that the -pvr options have no bearing on the output quality:

Video bitrate: ...... 6031 kbs
Audio bitrate: ...... 384 kbs

What I am failing to understand here?

Thanks.