[MPlayer-users] Re: soft telecine for DVDs

Ivan Middleton ivan.middleton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 23:53:50 CET 2006

> > There are a couple remaining issues:
> > 1) setting the framerate properly so that libavcodec doesn't complain
> > about an unsupported framerate when vstrict=0.
>
> mpeg2 defines a framerate extension using a num/div in the
> sequence_header_extension;
> you should implement the appropriate code

Well, the framerate should be set to the value of tele_dest, right?
I'm only interested in cases where tele_dest is 30000/1001 (or at
least a value which doesn't need the framerate extension).  The
problem is that the lavc encoder doesn't know about telecining, so it
gets upset because I've got -ofps set to 20000/1001 (same as tele_src)
or some such.

> > 2) outputting correct timecodes (the ones in the GOP header).
>
> they are useless; I'm not going to change them. I even wonder what the hell
> they are good for :)

I thought you might say that.

> > I think both of these could be fixed simultaneously by just modifying
> > libavcodec/mpeg12.c-->find_frame_rate_index()
> > to account for the soft telecining.
> >
> > Ivan
>
> lavc doesn't need to know anything about telecining, unless you want to
> implement
> telecining in the encoder itself

I was wrong to say that (2) would be fixed so easily-- it's definitely
more complicated, and I don't mind ignoring it.  But I think (1) is
still an issue, and perhaps the most elegant way to resolve it would
be to move telecining into the encoder.  At the least I guess I'd like
a "proper" way to tell lavc not to freak out about the weird framerate
(not involving vstrict, because that has other side effects).