[MPlayer-users] -dumpvideo: does it create raw video stream?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Dec 4 23:08:13 CET 2006

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> Enzo wrote:
>
>> Dear friends,
>>
>> I have a large x264 encoded avifile created by MEncoder
>> dev-SVN-r21398-3.4.4 that I'd like to convert to Matroska. To do
>> this, the suggested procedure is:
>>
>> 1) convert the avi to raw with avi2raw
>> 2) use mp4box or a similar tool to wrap the raw stream into mp4
>> 3) feed the resulting mp4 into a Matroska merger
>>
>> Problem is that avi2raw failed, producing an incomplete video
>> stream. So I decided to use mplayer with -dumpvideo, which indeed
>> produced a complete video stream. Unfortunately both mp4box and
>> mp3creator failed to recognize the video stream dumped by mplayer.
>> Is there any explanation for this? Is the -dumpvideo'ed stream not
>> fully compliant to the raw avi specifications? Any assistanc will
>> be greatly appreciated -- thank you very much.
>
> yes, for some idiot reason -dumpvideo applied to avi, asf and mov
> dumps 4 bytes (len) before every video packet.

svn blame says that the relevant line was last modified in r1247. svn
log says:

r1247 | arpi | 2001-06-29 17:35:30 -0400 (Fri, 29 Jun 2001) | 2 lines

-dumpvideo stores frame size for avi/asf video frames (for ffmpeg testing)

> It should really be removed

Unless someone knows what kind of FFmpeg testing this is supposed to be
used for, and that it's still relevant, I'd tend to agree.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.