[MPlayer-users] pre8 crashes on "Large H.264 MPEG-4" Hubble .mp4 file

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Aug 24 23:12:22 CEST 2006

Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 August 2006 22:29, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> This may be desirable in your case, although I'm having a hard time
>> imagining a mail-reading routine which would make it difficult to
>> notice
>
> KMail from KDE. It has no way to understand that this is the reply to
> one of my posts. gmail.com helpfully filters out my posts to the
> lists (i.e. I don't see my own posts), aggravating this.

Okay. That last point does change the picture a little, and give you a
little more excuse; if there's no way to turn it off, I'll have to add
that to the list of reasons not to regret having declined my early-beta
Gmail invitation.

>> the vast majority of mailing list replies. (I, for one, would be -
>> and sometimes am - quite irritated to receive a private copy of a
>> message sent to a mailing list to which I am subscribed. At best, a
>> private
>
> Why you are irritated when you get two copies?

Various reasons, not all of which are easy to explicate. In part, it's
because the private copy isn't really sent to me specifically; it's just
a duplicate of what I get through the mailing list, which is the forum
in which I expect to find that discussion/conversation.

In part, for approximately the same reason Dominik cited: because it's a
waste of my time and resources to have to download and look at (and,
almost certainly, delete) the copy sent privately when I'm going to
receive the same thing via the mailing list.

(...I know there are about three other reasons, but it hasn't happened
to me in an incorrect context recently enough for me to be able to bring
the associated sense of outrage to mind easily...)

>> Also, no one removed your address from the reply; it was never
>> there in the first place. This is because of the Reply-To header,
>> which (properly IMO) is set to include the mailing list address
>> when it goes through the list.
>
> But my name IS in the From: field, no?

True, but IMO not particularly relevant. I'm not sure enough of what
your point is to respond coherently beyond that... you do, in fact,
understand the concept of a Reply-To header?

>> I can understand your objecting to not receiving a private copy,
>> although it seems odd to me that you would readily fail to notice a
>> response to a thread which you started,
>
> I'm getting 600+ mails a day. Checking all of those for the "is this
> a reply to my thread?" will eat hours.

Hmm. I take it that KMail isn't capable of a threaded display, then?

What I would do, in order to check for responses to a thread which I
started on a forum in which I do not read all messages, is A) filter all
messages received via that mailing list into their own folder or folders
(I do this anyway, so as not to clutter my inbox), B) mark the message I
received from the list as read (thus flagging the thread, since it is
one of the subset which are not all unread), and C) see whether or not
there are any unread posts under that subthread (easy to do during my
daily, if not hourly, routine of skimming through newly-received mail).

>> but please don't accuse people of doing such things intentionally;
>> even I don't remove names from Reply-To headers without good
>> reason, although I do set Reply-To back to the list so as to
>> prevent replies to the private copy from coming only to me (as I
>> have done in this instance).
>
> I do not accuse people from doing this intentionally.
>
> It happens automatically when one uses "Reply" instead of "Reply to
> all".

Yes. However, "Reply to all" is - as I stated - incorrect behaviour on a
mailing list in most circumstances.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.