[MPlayer-users] xv and sdl do not work in high resolution

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Aug 23 19:15:43 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 01:14:14PM -0300, Eduardo M Kalinowski wrote:
> >Neither, it is the maximum size of the image MPlayer can send to the
> >graphics card.
> >This normally is whatever the video is encoded it.
> >If your PC is really fast you might be able to work around the
> >limitation by inserting -vf scale to scale it down to a smaller size
> >that the card can handle.
>
> Well, this I haven't understood. If I have a video that's, say,
> 400x300 pixels, and want to display it in windowed mode, the window
> will be 400x300 pixels, so there shouldn't be a problem with a maximum
> size of 1920 x 1080, whatever the actual screen resolution is. (It
> wouldn't work in fullscreen mode, though). Is that how it works?

No, it will also work in fullscreen mode without any problems.
(If we assume you do not use -vf scale or such) the only
thing that matters is what is in the video file.
Conversely if you have HDTV video "recorded" at a higher resolution than
your card supports, it won't help if you resize the window even to
100x100 pixels.

> Anyway, I guess the best solution is lowering the resolution.

There might be weird circumstances including broken drivers and too
little video RAM where this matters, but normally this should not make
any difference at all. A 1920x1080 video needs "only" 3MB of video RAM.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger