[MPlayer-users] pre8 crashes on "Large H.264 MPEG-4" Hubble .mp4 file

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 17:46:07 CEST 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 05.48, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

>>> Why you are irritated when you get two copies?
>>
>> Because it's a waste of my time and resources. I'm subscribed to
>> dozens
>> of mailing lists. Imagine what would happen if everybody started
>> replying
>> to my mails with two copies.
>
> You will get maybe about 10 extra mails of of daily total of 600?

Yes, but by relying on that, it's entirely possible that you'll miss
other issues on the mailing list that YOU could possibly contribute to.

>>> But my name IS in the From: field, no?
>>
>> Yes, but with mailing lists, it is expected that the reply will go to
>> the list.
>
> I suppose lkml is another good example of well-known mailing list.
> These are the rules which are in effect there:

[snip]

>> Please don't assume everyone subscribes to LKML, or that
>> everything crafted to be threaded more-or-less-correctly
>> was really crafted with any kind of "reply" command.  :)
> Um, that's exactly why reply-to-all should be used, because not
> everyone
> who posts to LKML subscribes to the list.  Otherwise, you'd either
> have
> to make everyone who posts a question or a bug report subscribe to the
> list to see the replies, or place the burden on the responder to keep
> track of who wants to be cc'ed and who doesn't.
> Beaised, even if you disagree with them, when you post to LKML you
> abide
> by the LKML rules.  It's up to you to know what those are.

For the record, with this message, I hit "Reply to all," and it did
nothing. Your CC data is stripped out by the mailing list's (whatever
it is that sends messages to everyone... a server, I guess). When
replying to about ten messages over several mailing lists, copying
over EVERYONE'S address to make sure they get a copy would take me
quite some time.

[snip]

>>> I do not accuse people doing this intentionally.
>>> It happens automatically when one uses "Reply" instead of "Reply
>>> to all".
>>
>> I use neither. I use List Reply, as I think everybody should.
>
> Do as you please, but replies to my mails which have my name
> neither in To:
> nor in CC: will most likely not be read most of the time, or read
> with a delay of many days.

Look, I hate to put it this bluntly, but the mailing list has
functioned perfectly well for several years using this current
method. We've never had anyone complain before, so we should probably
assume that you are in the minority of people who want this change.
However, I do not. I feel that by replying to CC: only, we just let
people care only about their own problems, instead of making them
scan the mailing list, and possibly running into something else that
they can help with. For every problem I submit to the mailing list, I
usually find a few more that I can help with. If I just read replies
to my problem, then I wouldn't be contributing back to the community
(though, I admit, it is a meager contribution).

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure the way the mailing list is going to be
changed based on the problems of a small minority when the status quo
hasn't brought up any issues. This is not the LKML. Likewise, the
Newton Talk mailing list isn't the MPML. The MPML and the MythTV ML
both have non-top-posting rules, and it has worked out perfectly well
for them. The NTML mailing list, however, does not. The dynamics of
the NTML are different enough from the MPML and the MTML that it's
not really necessary. The LKML probably *does* have enough demand for
support for CC:, so it's worth including there.

So, please stop comparing the requests on the LKML to the MPML,
because the two mailing lists aren't the same. Different dynamics,
different community, different loads. It's like my comparing the
towing power of a 4 cylinder Toyota Echo to that of a Mack 16-wheeler.