[MPlayer-users] Freebsd install

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Aug 17 08:59:13 CEST 2006

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:09:59 +0300
Mindaugas Kuprys <mindaugask at erdves.lt> wrote:

> I'm getting these errors then trying to install mplayer from ports on
> freebsd system

For ports, you report problems to the the FreeBSD ports mailing list,
and/or the port maintainer, as listed in the Makefile.

Generally, I think it would be a good idea for you to look through the
FreeBSD handbook (documentation).

> This may be because makefile in GUI folder contains errors:
>
> root at ttyp7/usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer/work/MPlayer-1.0pre8/Gui-13:0
> 0-#make "Makefile", line 79: Missing dependency operator
> "Makefile", line 80: Could not find .depend
> "Makefile", line 81: Need an operator
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

The makefile doesn't contain errors.  It's that BSD's make (aka. nmake)
is different than GNU make (aka. gmake) and, unfortunately, many
Makefiles are gmake-specific.  The port, no doubt, uses gmake for
compilation.