[MPlayer-users] problem playing dvd

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Aug 8 21:48:54 CEST 2006

On Tuesday, 08 August 2006 at 14:38, Dragan Noveski wrote:

> >OK, just what device is your DVD drive anyway? Is it /dev/cdrom? Assuming
> >this is a symlink, which device does it point to? Can you make a symlink
> >from that device to /dev/dvd?
> >

> i just had a look, /dev/cdrom is pointing to /dev/hdc, so i mad a
> symlink like:
>
> ln -s /dev/hdc/ /dev/dvd/

Did you actually have trailing slashes in that command?
ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd
is the correct command.

[...]
> >errors which appear if you don't use -dvd-device. Can you try
> >
> >mplayer -v dvd://N -dvd-device /dev/cdrom
> >
> >with different title numbers? It says there are 24 titles on this disk.
> >

> ...where N is the nummber? i am not sure if i should change the N with
> the number:

Of course "where N is the number". Geez. Using 'N' makes no sense...

> nowhiskey at murija2:~$ mplayer -v dvd://N -dvd-device /dev/cdrom
[...]
> The hostname option must be an integer: N
> Struct dvd, field hostname parsing error: N

...which is what MPlayer told you and fell back to dvd://.

[...]
> it seems for me that using N the output is little different, so where to
> put the number?
> can you please give me an example?

You seemed to be able to use the numbers before, so I didn't think
you needed one. I meant something like

mplayer -v dvd://10 -dvd-device /dev/cdrom

> also i tried to put that dvd on my harddrive, and see than if i use:
>

> nowhiskey at murija2:~$ mplayer dvd://4 -dvd-device
> /home/nowhiskey/moves/wenders/video_ts/

Now, why you used the number *now* and not before is completely beyond me.
And you forgot -v.

[...]
> in this case the move starts in a normal time of 1-2 sec.
> also there are 19 chapters now.

Good, we're getting somewhere finally.

> if i change N with 4, like   mplayer -v dvd://4 -dvd-device /dev/cdrom

So you are able to figure it out, after all. Good.

> nowhiskey at murija2:~$ mplayer -v dvd://4 -dvd-device /dev/cdrom
[...]
> hm, how ever, i am really confused, it is only that one dvd which has
> this strange behaviour, but putting on a hard drive helps.

The last one looks like it's working fine, so is it or is it not?

If it's not, please repost the output of both:

mplayer -v dvd://4 -dvd-device /home/nowhiskey/moves/wenders/video_ts/
and
mplayer -v dvd://4 -dvd-device /dev/cdrom

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/