[MPlayer-users] problem playing dvd

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Tue Aug 8 00:53:56 CEST 2006

Dragan Noveski wrote:
> ok, now it happens something strange, after i just posted the last
> message, i let the terminal still open, not trying to kill mplayer, and
> see, it begun to play!?
> now the movie is runing, but i mean it needed about lets say 6-8 minutes
> to begin?

I'm not sure if it helps, but it can be from breaking the CSS encryption
the brute force way (if all other ways fail). You might notice a higher
cpu load during this process (but from system, not user space!) Usually,
once attained keys should be stored in the directory .dvdcss/XYZ with
XYZ being an unique identifier for the DVD you put in (usuall it is the
title of the movie all in capital letters, but it can be anything the
DVD author gave the project when he created it. Some companies
(Sony/Columbia) name their projects often DVD_VIDEO.

I'm not sure though if keys found through the brute force attack are
stored there...

And I don't know if my answer is any good.

> do you have any idea what the line:
>

> Failed to open /dev/rtc: Permission denied (it should be readable by the
> user.)

/dev/rtc is usually listed as
crw-rw----  1 root root 10, 135 Aug  7 23:40 rtc

or something like it, so normal users won't access it. It presents
various aids for better timing (based on a real hardware clock, not the
kernel time stamp counter or whatever is used otherwise), but it has
nothing to do with playing a movie.