[MPlayer-users] old computer

Hulin Thibaud hulin.thibaud at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 7 18:52:32 CEST 2006

Stephen Mollett a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 04 August 2006 18:24, Hulin Thibaud wrote:
>> With the option -ao oss, it's not enough.
>> But oss is not emulation of oss by alsa ?
>
> Well, '-ao oss' would use ALSA's OSS emulation if you're using ALSA drivers
> (which you obviously are because you were using -ao alsa before); I don't
> know the details but I understand that the alsa ao driver in MPlayer is less
> mature than the oss one and therefore isn't as fast.

Mplayer with alsa and oss is actually too long to watch films for me...

>> About unaccelerated GFX, I don't see how try. In the link above, the
>> autor suggest using a VGA driver supporting "hard DR" (VIDIX, mga_vid,
>> DGA, VESA, or fbdev), but that not works for me...
>
> Do you normally use '-vo x11' or '-vo xv' as your default? The NeoMagic 128XD
> can do XVideo (xv) which should be a bit quicker than basic X11 mode,
> especially on a slow processor, because it'll have the graphics chip look
> after the conversion from YUV colour (in the file) to RGB colour (on the
> screen) and scaling the video to fullscreen if necessary.

I believe that xv is a little best that x11 but it's not enough.
When I type "mplayer -v", I obtain, in the last line :
vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not inited..
I don't know if it's normal ?

> My old IBM ThinkPad 240 also has a NeoMagic 128XD and can play back even
> 640x480 MPEG4 video quite watchably with '-vo xv' but not with '-vo x11'.
> (It's a Celeron 300, though, so it's a bit quicker. Compiling MPlayer for
> that specific processor with a recent GCC helps. It's noticeably better with
> GCC4 than it was with GCC3 on "borderline cases" where it could barely cope,
> like big DivX videos.)

Interesting ! I do essays with a film in 640x480 (an old Star Trek
telefilm), on a compiled mplayer 0.99+1pre7try2+cvs20060117 with gcc
4.0.3. It's compiled with runtime CPU detection. That mean that my Intel
Pentium MMX is correctly detected no ?
I used a howto, what options ahve you used ? And have you compiled your
kernel too ?
I use fluxbox to reduce cpu usage.