[MPlayer-users] mplayer hangs

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Aug 2 09:30:24 CEST 2006

On Wednesday, 02 August 2006 at 02:50, Rasti Amir wrote:
>    Hi;

> I've had a great experience with mplayer/mencoder ripping and encoding
> dvds. This time they're both having problem trying to read a dvd. It
> seems like there's a glitch or error somewhere on the dvd that it cannot
> skip. In normal playing mode I can skip over it using cursors but I
> couldn't find any ways to skip over it while dumping it. Is there a way
> to tell mplayer to start from 30th second of the dvd ? or an option to
> let it skip when it finds an error.

The "hang" is caused by libdvdread retrying a couple of times and by
the kernel, which retries reading each sector around 20 times (I'm unsure
if this is the correct number). There isn't much MPlayer can do about it.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/