[MPlayer-users] Re: Audio file size

Oygle nospam at jehoshua.biz
Wed Apr 26 11:28:38 CEST 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:57:46 -0700, Corey Hickey
<bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:

>> audiofile.wma - 3.6 Mb
>> audiofile.wav - 102.3 Mb
>> audiofile.mp3 - 9.3 Mb

>There's probably no problem there -- lame is just defaulting to a higher
>bitrate than that of the original wma. If you need to reduce bitrate,
>peruse the lame man page and find out how to reduce bitrate or use a
>lower-quality vbr mode. I can't tell you exactly because I don't use
>lame much.

I assumed the size problem was from mplayer, that's why I posted here.
It is mplayer that created the 102.3 Mb WAV file from a 3.6 Mb WMA
file.

>By the way, re-encoding always hurts quality.

I had three or four people listen to both the WMA and the resultant
MP3 file, and they all reported no quality loss, one of those people
works with sound desks, etc.

> You should leave the file
>as a wma unless you have a good reason. Converting to a less restricted
>format for interoperability is a good reason. Depending on what you're
>doing, though, you should consider oggenc instead of lame.

Not interested in WMA, any burning to a CD gives the audio file title
as 'track 1', really helpful, whereas MP3 shows the filename as the
song title, plus MP3 I would consider to be more widely used than WMA.

I'll look into oggenc, but have only heard of lame, it's well known
and already on the Linux box.

Thanks,

Oygle