[MPlayer-users] A/V sync off on x86-64 (and ia32)

Jasper Taylor jasper at simulistics.com
Mon Apr 24 19:40:20 CEST 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 17:59, Corey Hickey wrote:
> Jasper Taylor wrote:
> > Hiya...

> >> Confirmed, both on ia32 and x86-64
> >
> > Any chance of a fix, or should I start mining old versions to get one
> > from before it appeared?
>
> Try using binary search to find the CVS commit that made mplayer stop
> playing it right. I don't know if there's any chance of a fix, if the
> file is indeed hopelessly broken, but finding the exact change to
> mplayer CVS will make a possible fix more likely to happen.

Will do binary search some night I'm having trouble sleeping.

It can't be *that* broken -- this problem is happening about 25% of the time
when I watch files recorded from UK DVB-T, including the BBC!
Also on this thread...

On Saturday 15 April 2006 11:01, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> David Jacques wrote:
> >Hi,Nico Sabbi,
> >  The file format is normal mpeg2 ts, it was recorded from a satellite
> > card.
>
> as I suspected

DVB-T actually -- same difference

> >I think it is dealt by ~/libmpdemux/demux_ts.c and ~/libmpeg2.
>
> yes, it is.

...although I think what follows is doubtful...

> The problem here is that mplayer decodes data as fast as it can
> (ignoring the correlation between dts, pts and pcr), and sooner or later
> it will
> starve for data, audio and video pts will diverge too much and you will
> have
> an ugly still frame as "video stream".
>
> I'm afraid that in order to fix this problem mplayer will have to be
> modified to
> begin decoding only when the right "time" comes (pcr >= dts)

	--J