[MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Apr 24 18:56:13 CEST 2006

Rich Felker wrote:

>>> No, though if someone were to add support it would be useful for testing
>>> and comparison.
>>>
>>> In any case, you'll probably get better performance and/or quality by
>>> using XviD or libavcodec MPEG-4, both of which are well-supported in
>>> mencoder.
>> Xvid and DivX 6.1 seem to be much faster at better quality than libavcodec.
>> http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/codecs-main-105-1.htm
>
> Don't post doom9 crap here, he's not respected at all after the last
> fiasco.

Some people didn't handle that issue very well, but the eventual outcome
was reasonably fair and agreed with my own results.

As I pointed out in my other message, though, there are other factors to
consider; the doom9 comparison isn't an all-encompassing final
authority. Neither am I, of course. Anyone who really cares that much
should do their own evaluation.

-Corey