[MPlayer-users] Copy protection on DVDs beyond CSS?

Jonathan Schmitt jonathan.schmitt at detla.de
Fri Apr 21 20:45:36 CEST 2006

On Friday, 21. April 2006 20:18 Ivo wrote:
> On Friday 21 April 2006 19:16, Jonathan Schmitt wrote:

> You could try mask
> them all out, but I really doubt that is how this should be handled (change
> the mask to ... &= 0xffff).

I tried. If it did improve, than not noticeably.

> Probably because the navigation packets are not handled correctly and
> pieces are skipped, which might get worse if you mask out all the upper
> bits.

Yep, in the meantime I watched larger parts of the film and it seems like
chunks of more than a minute are skipped.

By the way, manually going forward or backward in the stream leads to minute
long searching of mplayer again.

> It would be helpful if you could provide a sample. I suppose mplayer
> -dumpstream doesn't work, but you said you could play it fine on some DELL
> windows computer. Maybe you could extract a small piece (1-5 minutes) of
> the DVD with something like DVD Shrink (but do not shrink, leave quality at
> 100%), tar or zip it and upload it to ftp.mplayerhq.hu/incoming?

I will start with the following: I will specifically ask, which windows
program and try, whether this program on another machine works. Next I will
try to get access to the dell machine with Linux/mplayer. I will try to
convince the owner of the Dell computer to let me use DVD Shrink on his
machine, however, this I can do on Monday earliest.

You are right, mplayer -dumpstream does not seem to do something useful.

I really, really appreciate your effort. Thanks.
Jonathan