[MPlayer-users] Copy protection on DVDs beyond CSS?

Jonathan Schmitt jonathan.schmitt at detla.de
Thu Apr 20 21:44:32 CEST 2006

Thanks for your suggestions,

> Some similar problem was discussed in this list before, in a thread
> called "MPlayer hangs playing 'Sony Pictures' DVDs." from February,
> maybe it is the same issue?

I have read through the thread and I am doubtful, it is the same problem.
Mainly, my computer does not freeze and mplayer is reproduceable to stop by
pressing ctrl + c. Next, the DVD is not (as with the Sony DVDs) playable by
xine (and also not by PowerDVD). Xine (Kaffeine) reports "Source can't be
read, expected NAV packet but none found".

> Any info in the console/dmesg output?

Neither mplayer nor xine leave any traces in the dmesg. Konsole output for
mplayer is none without the -v. With -v, I get an endless list of

Invalid NAVI packet! lba=0x4E  navi=0x4004E
Invalid NAVI packet! lba=0x122  navi=0x40122
Invalid NAVI packet! lba=0x1F7  navi=0x401F7

on the console.

Kind regards,
Jonathan