[MPlayer-users] Single threaded mencoder on a Dual Core machine

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Apr 19 21:56:04 CEST 2006

Hi,
On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:03:35AM -0700, Corey Hickey wrote:
> will give you 2x performance on a dual core machine. The only way to do
> that is to have two encoders working on separate files -- each file
> takes just as long as before, but you can encode twice as many.

Although difficult, this means it is also possible to split a file up,
encode it and then concatenate it again. No idea if anyone got this to
work, but it might work nice with DVDs that have lots of different
chapters. If you only play it with mplayer you _might_ be able to avoid
the concatenation step by just creating a playlist and using  -fixed-vo and
maybe -nocache, though I do not know if the delay caused by switching to
the next file is acceptable.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger