[MPlayer-users] Subtitle timings are wrong and sub delay is broken

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 10:43:13 CEST 2006


On 4/16/06, Ergzay <ergzay at everyoneproductions.com> wrote:
> On 2006/04/15, at 19:12, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 4/16/06, Ergzay <ergzay at everyoneproductions.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 2006/04/15, at 5:59, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> >
> >>> Absolutely no problem here.
> >>>
> >>> If you believe in re-incarnation, I suggest you check if you've done
> >>> smth very naughty in one of you previous lives, because you seem to
> >>> be
> >>> paying it off by having problem that no one can reproduce... ;-)
> >>>
> >>> J/K
> >>
> >> Should I maybe wipe my mplayer source and re-compile with a new one?
> >
> > Yes, please do.
> I did so and no change. Is there anything else I might do? Maybe I
> could get on IRC and you could run gdb on my machine through me, with
> me typing the commands you say?

That could work, but not through me, I'm afraid. I don't know the code
involved at all, but I hope that if you drop by #mplayerdev, you
should be able to get in touch with a more knowledgeable person than

> Something I noticed about the subtitle mistimings. It seems to round
> the timings off to the nearest second. If there are several subtitles
> in a row it will put them smack back to back together with no space
> inbetween. And if there is a long enough pause it is about 1 second
> before the dialog starts up again.

I don't see any obvious spot to look for to solve your issue.

I've been wondered if you could somehow see if 10.4 works best for
your. It looks like most OSX PPC users use it these days, and they
don't complain.

Yes, I know it's silly to advise upgrading an OS to be able to run a
certain application, but I'm truly not competent enough to see any
other thing that you could try on your side.

Well, in fact, there do are other things that could be done to
understand what's wrong with your setup.
You could try different CVS snapshots from various moments in time in
order to narrow down when the breakage happened. This doc should help
you out: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_regression_test.html

You should try taking a snapshot some weeks before Tiger was released,
and work you way up to identify what broke 10.3.

That will be time consuming, but that's the best and more brain dead
way to identify a regression.

Best regards,

I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject
is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to
make him really know what he's talking about.

-- H. P. Lovecraft (about the flamewars on FFmpeg and MPlayer-dev mailing lists)

More information about the MPlayer-users mailing list