[MPlayer-users] Windows version + WMV video

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Apr 14 06:38:20 CEST 2006

Chad Kline wrote:
> i read a lot about problems with WMV files
> in posts that were a year old or more, but
> saw nothing recent.  i have WMV3 and WMV9
> videos, and only the sound plays on the latest
> windows version of mplayer.  oddly, i don't
> have this problem in freebsd 4.x - but i do
> have the problem in windows98 as follows:
> (i want to know if these should play, and if
> so, what i may be doing wrong - one thing
> i notice is the windows version has no
> "codecs,.conf" file?  i have tried the

No problem. These days, the functionality of codecs.conf is built in and
the only reason to have a codecs.conf is if it's from an old version (in
which case you should remove it) or you really know what you're doing.

> windows-essential AND windows-all
> sets of codecs - no difference)
>
> [please reply off-list - i am not a subscriber]
>
> MPlayer dev-CVS-050928-16:38-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team

This is a rather old version. Find a newer one if you can, but that's
probably not the problem.

> CPU: Intel Pentium P54C (Family: 5, Stepping: 12)
> Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
> CPUflags:  MMX: 0 MMX2: 0 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
> Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
> To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetecti
>
> Playing 401.wmv.
> ASF file format detected.
> VIDEO:  [WMV3]  320x240  24bpp  1000.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
> Clip info:
> name: Pro Gas Race #2
> author:
> copyright:
> comments:
> Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
> AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 64.0 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 8005->176400)
> Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm:ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))
> <vo_directx><ERROR>Your card doesn't support overlay

I don't know if this is a problem or not; see below, though.

> Opening video decoder: [dmo] DMO video codecs
> IMediaObject ERROR: 009D1A10  could not open DMO DLL (0x0 : 0)
> Failed to create DMO filter
> ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmv9dmod.dll.
> You need to upgrade/install the binary codecs package.
> Go to http://mplayerhq.hu/homepage/dload.html
> VDecoder init failed :(
> Opening video decoder: [dmo] DMO video codecs
> IMediaObject ERROR: 009D1A10  could not open DMO DLL (0x0 : 0)
> Failed to create DMO filter
> ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmvdmod.dll.

It looks like mplayer isn't finding wmvdmod.dll. I don't know where your
Windows build is looking for it, but it's not being found in the
expected location. Try playing around with that (maybe someone else can
tell you where it should be) or finding an mplayer build that has the
binary codecs included.

-Corey