[MPlayer-users] Compile failed (missing cc1plus)

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Apr 13 16:02:19 CEST 2006

George Borisov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just tried compiling Mplayer on my Debian (sid) box and it
> failed. :-(
>
> Here is the error message:
>
> ---
> cc -c -I../libvo -I../../libvo  -fno-PIC -O4 -march=pentium3
> -mtune=pentium3 -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -D_REENTRANT
> -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -I.. -I../loader
> -I../libavutil -I../libavcodec -I../libavformat
> -I/usr/local/lib/live/liveMedia/include
> -I/usr/local/lib/live/UsageEnvironment/include
> -I/usr/local/lib/live/BasicUsageEnvironment/include
> -I/usr/local/lib/live/groupsock/include -o demux_rtp.o demux_rtp.cpp
> cc: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1plus': No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [demux_rtp.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/george/downloads/source/mplayer/main/libmpdemux'
> make: *** [libmpdemux/libmpdemux.a] Error 2
> ---
>
> I do have cc1plus on the box in
> /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.0/cc1plus
>
> Is this a bug, or do I need to specify location manually somehow?

This is almost certainly not a but in MPlayer, but in the installation
of your C++ compiler. It is not enough that the binary exists somewhere
on your system; it needs to be in your PATH. If your system is set up
correctly and the compiler was installed correctly, then that should
have been handled automatically at install time (with symlinks if
nothing else); I suggest that you look to your distribution to try to
figure out what is wrong.

(My best guess, slightly contrary to the above, is that the version of
gcc which you have symlinked from 'cc' does not expect to use that
version of 'cc1plus' and so tries to run a version which is in fact not
installed on your system. Track down the actual file pointed to by the
symlink named 'cc', and either upgrade it or install an earlier version
of g++ such that you have matching versions of both installed. If that's
not the problem, then I probably can't help you.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.