[MPlayer-users] Re: Recoring this *.ram to WAV with mplayer works while logged in but not from at.

Adam Funk a24061 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 10:20:08 CEST 2006

On 2006-04-11, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:

>>> OK, when I'm feeling a little brave I'll try it.
>>
>> Unless you try to install Debian packages which depend on the MPlayer
>> package (unlikely, since the MPlayer package itself is unofficial),
>> there should be no problems with having MPlayer installed via a non-deb
>> means; I've certainly never had any problem with it.
>
> It's very easy to compile your own Debian package of mplayer.
>
> 1. Get mplayer source as usual.
> 2. Run ./configure and look at what drivers/codecs are enabled.
> 3. Install libraries and -dev packages for drivers/codecs you want.
> 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you're happy.
> 5. $ export DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS='--options-you --pass-to-configure'
> 6. fakeroot debian/rules binary
> 7. Install any necessary debian-building packages if step 6 fails.

But what would be the advantage to me of doing all that to make and
install a binary package over just compiling the source code and doing
make install?

The benefits of binary packages for distribution are obvious to me,
but what are the benefits of making a package for the machine you
could just directly compile install the software on?