[MPlayer-users] stream dump seems fine, but ends with a core dumped

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Apr 12 09:17:14 CEST 2006

Yann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I get "Core dumped ;)" when I issue this command :
> ===
> mplayer -noframedrop -dumpfile
> "02%20-%20Le%20chant%20des%20sirenes.mp3" -dumpstream
> "http://stream1.jamendo.com/133/mp31/02%20-%20Le%20chant%20des%20sirenes.mp3"
> ===
>
> However the mp3 file seems good, I can play it. I don't know if this
> "core dumped" is important, and could hide another problem?

Yet another piece of ammunition for the argument against including that
message. It's purely a joke - the smiley is meant to indicate that it's
tongue-in-cheek, i.e., "the core of the stream you requested has been
dumped". I think that it's not especially funny and is misleading at
best, especially to people who have less of a technical background or
don't already know the software; my opinion is not shared by enough of
the developers for it to be changed.

> BTW: thanks for mplayer, it rocks ;-)

Despite far more flaws than I knew about when I switched to Linux to be
able to use it, and seemingly more that I learn of all the time - yes,
indeed it does.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.