[MPlayer-users] Re: Recoring this *.ram to WAV with mplayer works while logged in but not from at.

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Apr 11 16:06:15 CEST 2006

Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2006-04-10, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:

>>I don't believe so, no. But you aren't using a recent version of
>>MPlayer, so it shouldn't matter.
>
> I said that because last week was the first time I had any problems
> with the script that uses that command.  I have to admit the version
> numbering confuses me:
>
> 1.0-pre7-0.0    <-- the Debian package version .deb I have installed
>                     (this now says upgradeable, so I'll try it)
> 1.0pre7-3.3.5   <-- what I have acc. to mplayer's output

Debian version numbering can get confusing, I'll admit. Everything after
the final hyphen is Debian's internal package revision number, which has
no relationship to the version number of the actual upstream software -
in fact, IIUC it's usually reset to 0 whenever the package is updated
from upstream.

Debian's MPlayer packages are considered broken (or at least crippled)
by some, though not necessarily all, of MPlayer's developers; they are
not unusable, but their use is certainly not recommended, even ignoring
the issue of ancient versions. MPlayer was the first program I ever
obtained and installed from CVS, and I've never seriously regretted it.

> 1.0pre7try2     <-- now on the download page of www.mplayerhq.hu

This is the latest "official release", but it is also in no sense a
recent version; it was released on August 25th, i.e. nearly eight months
ago. There are intermittent efforts to make headway towards another
release, but so far none of them have had much success; as a result
(both of that and of general project philosophy), it is always
recommended to use the CVS version if remotely possible.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.