[MPlayer-users] Extracting frames from videos on the command line

geoff.mplayer at alphaworks.co.uk geoff.mplayer at alphaworks.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 19:15:53 CEST 2006

mplayer-users-request at mplayerhq.hu wrote:

>Message: 1
>Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:00:37 -0700
>From: RC <rcooley at spamcop.net>
>Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] Extracting frames from videos on the
>	command line
>To: "MPlayer usage questions, feature requests,	bug reports"
>	<mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
>
>On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:15:41 +0100
>Geoff Soper <geoff.mplayer at alphaworks.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>mplayer -vo jpeg -frames 1 Words.mpg
>>

>Try more than 1 frame.  Everything seems to be fine.

Ah, OK, that seems to work. It looks like it's generating one less than
whatever is specified, any idea what is causing this? I'd like to be
able to extract non-consecutive frame i.e. 4  frames a second assuming
the film has more than 4 frames a second. I've tried using -fps but that
seem to produce apparently random results. Is my only solution to
extract every frame and then just pick from them afterwards?

Thanks,
Geoff