[MPlayer-users] system-wide libdvdcss?

William Norfleet williamnorfleet2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 3 18:59:40 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 11:35 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 02:08:30PM +0100, Raphael wrote:
> > Alexander Roalter wrote:

> > >Not to my knowledge, unfortunately (although I only played a bit with
> > >it to see if the DVDs were played correctly) it always uses the
> > >DVDnavigation mode, so I'm not sure how to get it to play title 1 or
> > >so..., and I'm also more at a loss as how to dump the stream.
> > >
> > >The situation gets worse and worse every DVD. With the 3 missing
> > >Seinfeld Seasons I'm absolutely sure they'll have this CP, and other
> > >DVDs from Sony also have these (last I found was Layer Cake,
> > >unfortunately nowhere mentioned on the cover/backcover).
> > Although I understand this is no consolation to linux users there are
> > numerous windows tools for playing DVDs with all kinds of protection.
>
> Xine also has no trouble with these. Alas, xine disables the stream saving feature for DVD's.. (how code like this gets into an Open source project without triggering a fork is beyond me.)

That's my experience, too:  Xine can play these DVDs using
libdvdcss2-1.2.9-1.i386.rpm (the latest version I can find), but not
with an earlier version (libdvdcss-1.2.8-2.network.i386.rpm, I think).

What options should be utilized with ./configure to get MPlayer to use
the system-wide libdvdcss rather than the version included with the
MPlayer source?  A careful reading of ./configure --help did not reveal
an obvious approach, nor did a search of the archives of this list.  An
old Google hit describes the use of "--with-csslibdir=DIR",
but ./configure execution halts with:
Unknown parameter: --with-csslibdir=/usr/lib/

/usr/lib/ seems to be where my system-wide libdvdcss is:
[bill at desk main]$ ls /usr/lib/*css*
/usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2      /usr/lib/lib-org-w3c-dom-css-2.4.1.so
/usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.8  /usr/lib/lib-org-w3c-dom-css.so
[bill at desk main]$

[bill at desk mplayer]$ rpm -qp --filesbypkg libdvdcss2-1.2.9-1.i386.rpm
libdvdcss2                /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2
libdvdcss2                /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.8
libdvdcss2                /usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2-1.2.9
libdvdcss2                /usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2-1.2.9/AUTHORS
libdvdcss2                /usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2-1.2.9/COPYING
libdvdcss2                /usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2-1.2.9/NEWS
[bill at desk mplayer]$

So:  Has "--with-csslibdir=DIR" been deprecated?  Or am using the wrong
path to libdvdcss?  Or should I be using some other ./configure options?