[MPlayer-users] Bug 2 of 2: -framedrop gives lots of errormessages with h264

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 08:26:20 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 4/3/06, John Brown <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> RC wrote:
> >
> >I don't understand why posting a full bugreport is so difficult for you.
> >  It's not exactly torture to go through all the steps.
> >
> Because the information that they are asking for is usually unnecessary. If
> the developers are as busy as that, why do they want to read all of that
> irrelevant information? I am talking about my crashes; not about Ergazy's
> specific case.
>
> 1)If you compiled MPlayer successfully, why do your gcc, ld, and as versions
> matter? What was the last bug that was caused because the user compiled with
> gcc a.b.c when he should have used gcc d.e.f? when was that?

partly for historical reasons: gcc two point ninety six was
notoriously no producing good binaries of MPlayer. I had some issues
with gcc3.3 when porting the inline asm to gcc4.

> 2) If you have a problem with some files but not others, and other players
> can play the problem files, why isn't it sufficient to send a sample file
> and a description of the problem? (By the way Ergazy is wrong not to submit
> a sample.)The developers can do anything that they want with the file. If
> they can reproduce the problem then they will see for themselves everything
> that they want you to send. If they can't, *then* the verbose output,
> backtrace, etc. would help them to come up with a hypothesis.
>
> 3) Similarly, I really do not believe that it is generally useful to know
> about the CPU, video card, sound card, etc. if your system is working well
> otherwise. The operating system, certainly.

I think this is still historical, as the multimedia world on free os
has certainly improved since the early days of MPlayer.

> 4) They say that you should not truncate the output, but do they really need
> to see *all* the status lines? Unless there is a warning or error message,
> one status line looks very much like another, except possibly the last line
> which may be incomplete because MPlayer crashed.

true, but the main problem is that the person who experienced the
crash and doesn't know why has caused it, probably can't know what
part of the output to trim, so having the full output is probably
overkill in some cases, but is also certainly the only way to go when
the user is lost.

Guillaume
is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to
make him really know what he's talking about.